Friday, July 5, 2024

Friday Fun - July 5, 2024

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have three books to share with you.

I read Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer for one of my reading challenges. 


I also read The Sword in His Hand by J.J. Fischer for one of my reading challenges.


Plus I am reading When Secrets Come Calling by Felicia Ferguson as a member of the launch team.


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join C arrie for First Line Friday.)

Here are my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selections:

  Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer:

"It seemed a shame to Anne Burras that her mistress had endured months of ocean travel just to die before reaching Virginia."

Yes, that would be a shame. How devastating.  

The Sword in His Hand by J.J. Fischer:

"'Mayday, mayday, mayday, DC-2 Delta Niner-Four-Three-Alfa-Charlie declaring an emergency, requiring immediate assistance.'"

Well, that drew me right in to the action.

When Secrets Come Calling by Felicia Ferguson:

"Thumping country music pounded the leather and wood grain interior of Maddox "Dax" Carpenter's King Ranch F250 with tales of love, summer, and broken hearts."

At first I felt the first sentence was a bit wordy and it wasn't drawing me in. Then I had to wonder if there was a reason he is listening to his music so loud. The words "thumping" and "pounding" and "broken hearts" made me wonder if something could be wrong.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections:

Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer:
 
"'I will hear no more of this.' Caldwell shook his head. 'I am through talking. We will resume out duties at sunrise tomorrow morning. Use the rest of this afternoon to drill and practice loading your weapons.' He left the bulwark and started toward his house without another word.'"

The Sword in His Hand by J.J. Fischer:

"El melted against the wall, unable to look at the dead guard. Suddenly, the man Eiselher did not seem so worthy of her pity. She remembered hearing about the two men he had killed months ago. How many more had he murdered?"

When Secrets Come Calling by Felicia Ferguson 

"Caitlin found the coroner's report while Ty pulled up the video. She scanned the report, noting the pertinent details. 'Evidence collected at the scene found the victim's hair and blood on the corner of the bar, which is consistent with the would according to the medical examiner.'"
Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. Here are the reviews, plus the review for The Women of Wynton's.


3 comments:

  1. Three different books, but they all sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very different sounding books. I hope that you enjoy them.

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/07/05/first-line-friday-be-less-panda-by-suzanne-lissaman/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sword in His Hand sounds really exciting, a perfect choice for a fast read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!